Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Cost of City Life

On the eve of an election in my city, I decided to review how changes over the past ten years have impacted me personally.

1998
City property taxes on my residence = $629.28
Appraised value = $262,200
Number of City Police Officers = 33
Annual cost of trash collection = $159.00
Active transportation projects = $30,000
[city street resurfacing through LARP funding]

2007
City property taxes on my residence = $462.24 [down 27%]
Appraised value = $344,100 [up 31%]
Number of City Police Officers = 50 [up 50%]
Annual cost of trash collection = $0.00 [down 100%]
Active transportation projects = $70+ million [up 2,333%]
[U.S. 78 safety project, 78/124 intersection, SPLOST, Signature Community $, LARP, ATMS signalization, sidewalks, McGee intersection, turn lanes, and more]

Additional City benefits now available:
New City Hall
New Senior Center [12,000 visitors a year]
New Recycling Center
New Oak Road Park
New Police Services
[Citizen's Academy, K-9 Unit, Commercial Vehicle Unit, Bike Patrols]

Awards recognizing our City's progress over the past ten years:
Park Department of the Year
Tree City USA [several years running]
Signature Community [statewide recognition]
Numerous Awards for our Police Department [Governor's Office of Highway Safety and others]

I know I'm being selfish, but I like spending 42% less to live in the City while enjoying a huge increase in services. I sincerely appreciate the work our Mayor, Jerry Oberholtzer, and the City staff have done to generate these results and I very much would like to see this trend continue.

No comments: