Thursday, November 15, 2007

Principal for a Day

I enjoyed an outstanding day at my Alma Mater, South Gwinnett High School. The Principal, Berry Simmons, Administrative and Instructional staff are doing a tremendous job.

I visited with Special Education students operating computers via voice and optical devices because of severe physical challenges. I visited with Advance Placement students studying Advanced Economics discussing monetary policy and its’ impact on the economy, business, and our community. I toured a well-maintained school with state-of-the-art technology, modern music and choral rooms, tremendous athletic facilities, and a 500-seat performing arts theatre.

The atmosphere was pleasant, inviting, and conducive to learning as well as social growth for all students. Early intervention addressing classroom problems with a clear, firm, and positive outcome is the rule and all Administrators communicate frequently throughout the day in support of both teacher and student.

Much has changed at South Gwinnett since I graduated in 1979 and in most cases those changes have been for the better.

After all these years – still proud to be a Comet!

No comments: